Saturday 11 April 2015

Spuds, spuds and more spuds

   In the our world of sheep one more lamb has been born. We now have three ram and one ewe lamb.
   It has been a busy week in the garden. The weather has been very good. Frosty mornings, clear skies, lots of sun and not too hot. Ideal spud planting weather. Varities Charlotte, Desiree and Bintje have been planted. Elsewhere in the garden the onion and shallot sets are going well. The tree onions are well established and fingers crossed they ought to do well this year. I was a little disappointed with them last season but I think that they are one of these plants you multiply year on year until you get enough to crop. Grass mowing continues and as I write this I am thinking that I need to get out there and start mowing again!
   In the poly tunnel the asparagus has started to show itself and there is one spur ready to cut! Lettuce leaves are being picked (Red salad bowl and salad Endive). The Lisbon spring onions have once again proved to be a disappointment. I am going to give up on trying to grow this variety and just grow the french salad onions which have a bigger bulb and in my opinion are not as nice. I have a good showing of peas in the poly tunnel, no flowers yet though.Transplanted tomatoes are now well established. Up in the house I have celery, celeriac and Nigels green chilli all growing nicely. Time to get on and sow basil I think.
  The cherry blossom has finally appeared. The warm weather has helped to bring on all the fruit trees and the apple and pear trees are close to flowering. The daffodils have been really good this year and I have picked several bunches to display in the houses.
   On the chicken front all is well. The hens continue to produce eight to ten eggs a day out of eleven hens and that is very pleasing.
   So onward. Over the next week or so weather permitting I will be sowing haricots and first lot of outdoor peas.
Shallots and tree onions on the right

No comments:

Post a Comment