Tuesday 24 March 2015

The pace quickens!

   In my last blog I mentioned my onion and shallot sets. They have now rooted and a few of the shallots are showing green leaves. The onion sets are now well rooted and beyond the
First shallot leaves
ability of the chickens to scratch them out.       With the drier weather I was able to get on with some weeding and have weeded this years parsnip and carrot plot. Parsnips have been sown more with a  wing and a prayer and fingers crossed than anything! 
     Round 2 of mowing the grass completed and round 3 has started. Yes, everything is growing and it will not be long and it will be growing madly!
     I mentioned the availability of bean poles in my last blog. I finally went and got some, least enough for the Gigante Greek runner beans when they are ready to plant.
    In the poly tunnel I have thinned out the red salad bowl and salad endive transplanting some of the thinned plants. I have chopped another third of the coriander which is growing very well. My plan is to have one third being picked, one third growing and one third cut. Mice and men come to mind. First batch of twenty two Ethel Watkins Best tomato plants have been transplanted to pots. Other varieties sown in half seed trays have germinated and are well established but not yet big enough to transplant. More sowing done. This time Precoce de Louvier and Baccalan de Renne cabbage. Both did well last year. More radish also sown to try to keep a succession going (what was that about mice and men again?). The lettuce that was sown into pots has also germinated so hopefully (yes, mice and men again) they will follow on from my bought plants which are now well settled and growing.
   So despite the return of wet and cool conditions I am feeling like I am more or less on schedule. Tomato plants are behind my usual time frame but in previous years I did sow them very early. 
   Outside of the gardening front our first lamb of 2015 was born on the 25th March and our first batch of six "meat" chickens have been obtained and are settling in.

No comments:

Post a Comment